Today begins the fourth quarter.
And if you are anything like me, October 1 can immediately make you start thinking about everything that still needs to be done.
The goals you set in January.
The things you said would happen this year that haven’t happened yet.
The business goals.
The family goals.
The personal goals.
And suddenly, these final three months of the year can start to feel like a race to squeeze more into an already full life.
But this morning, I am entering the fourth quarter with a different thought:
Maybe the next level doesn’t require me to do more. Maybe it requires me to lead differently.
I’ve been catching myself saying something lately:
“I can’t do it all.”
And I’ve decided I don’t want to say that anymore.
Not because it isn’t true.
But because when I say “I can’t do it all,” it sounds like an admission of inadequacy.
Like I should somehow be able to carry all of this, and my inability to do so means I need help.
I want to replace that belief with something different:
I don’t have to do it all. My role is to make sure it gets done.
There is a difference.
The Woman Who Got You Here May Need to Lead Differently to Get You There
Many of us became successful because we learned how to figure things out.
We became resourceful.
We stepped in.
We solved problems.
We worked late.
We learned things we didn't know how to do.
And when necessary, we carried the whole thing on our backs.
That ability can take you pretty far.
But eventually, the very thing that helped you build your life, career or business can become the thing that limits its growth.
Because there is only one of you.
And so, as I step into this final quarter determined to finish the year strong and create extraordinary results, I’ve had to confront one of my own deeply held beliefs:
“If I want it done right, I have to do it myself.”
That belief can masquerade as excellence.
Sometimes it can even masquerade as leadership.
But I'm beginning to understand that leadership isn't proving how much I can personally carry.
Leadership is building people, systems and structures capable of carrying the vision with me.
That requires something different from me.
I have to teach.
I have to communicate.
I have to delegate.
I have to trust.
And perhaps most challenging of all, I have to allow someone else to do something differently than I would have done it.
New thought...Different doesn't automatically mean wrong.
I especially want to say this to the women who are building businesses, leading organizations, raising children, nurturing marriages, caring for families, pursuing personal goals and trying somewhere in the middle of all of that to care for themselves.
I see you because I am you.
There can be a quiet pride attached to being the woman who can handle everything.
The dependable one.
The strong one.
The one everyone calls.
The one who remembers.
The one who fixes it.
The one who makes sure everyone else has what they need.
And yes, there is strength in being capable.
But there is also strength in recognizing when your capacity should no longer be measured by how much you can personally carry.
Our families need more than our labor.
Our organizations need more than our labor.
We need more than our labor.
Sometimes the greatest contribution we can make is not another hour of work.
It's vision.
Presence.
Wisdom.
Creativity.
Discernment.
Direction.
Leadership.
And we cannot consistently give those things when all of our energy is consumed by doing.
So as I enter these final three months of 2026, I'm not asking myself:
“How can I possibly get all of this done?”
I'm asking:
“What actually requires me?”
What requires my voice?
My experience?
My decision?
My presence?
And then:
What can be taught?
What can be systemized?
What can be delegated?
What can someone else own completely?
And perhaps most importantly:
What am I still carrying simply because I haven't allowed myself to put it down?
That is the question I want to take into Q4.
Because maybe growth isn't always about adding.
Sometimes growth looks like releasing.
Releasing control.
Releasing perfection.
Releasing the belief that no one else can do it quite like you.
Releasing responsibilities that belonged to an earlier version of you.
And making room for the leader you are becoming.
So if you find yourself saying “I can't do it all” as we enter this fourth quarter, try replacing it with me:
I don't have to do it all.
My role is to make sure it gets done.
And maybe our fourth-quarter goal doesn't need to be proving how much more we can accomplish.
Maybe the goal is to enter 2027 having built lives, families, teams and organizations that no longer require us to carry everything ourselves.
Here's to leading differently in Q4.
— Sylvia
Millionaire MMOOMMS Club
God first. Family second. Career third.






No comments